Fly tipping

Find out how Chorus Homes deals with fly tipping on its schemes and how to report it.

Archived content

This article was created over 12 months ago. It may contain information or references to services, projects and initiatives which are no longer available. For up-to-date customer help and support please visit our advice centre.

FacebookTwitteremail Published , updated

Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of waste on land and is a crime. If you become aware of fly tipping on Chorus land please contact us and provide as much detail as possible such as: 

  • the date, time and place of the fly tipping 
  • the type and amount of dumped waste 
  • a description of any people/vehicles involved in tipping the waste. 

If you are unsure who the land belongs to please contact either Chorus Homes or Huntingdonshire District Council on 01480 38838.  

What items are commonly fly-tipped? 

The most commonly fly-tipped items include: 

  • Components of vehicles - vehicle parts, tyres, oil
  • Hazardous waste - syringes, used nappies, bags of animal waste
  • White goods - fridges, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines
  • Furniture - mattresses, sofas, tables, beds
  • Garden waste - grass cuttings, shrubs, rubble, bricks
  • Miscellaneous items – children’s toys, wood, prams, black bags of rubbish, packaging materials (for example cardboard boxes and polystyrene) 

What should I do with my bulky waste items? 

Residents are responsible for the disposal of their own waste – this includes bulky items such as old beds, mattress, furniture, children’s toys and electrical items (fridges, freezers, televisions etc.) and other household items. 

This means even if you are moving home, you are responsible for disposing of your own bulky waste items responsibly – you are not permitted to leave these items in a bin store. 

If you do not know the location of your local civic amenity site (tip), this information can be found from your local council, along with opening times and details of what items they can accept. Also, most local authorities provide a bulky items removal service for which there may be a small charge – contact your local authority for details. 

As a final point, outright owners should remember that if you let your property out, you are responsible for the behaviour of your tenants – this includes any fly tipping. 

Remember, it is your responsibility to remove your own waste. If you choose to dump it (whether in a bin store or elsewhere) you are committing a criminal offence and imposing increased costs on your neighbours.