Understanding your tenancy agreement

If you rent or live in shared ownership, you will have a tenancy agreement or lease which sets out your rights and responsibilities.

Archived content

This article was created over 12 months ago. It may contain information or references to services, projects and initiatives which are no longer available. For up-to-date customer help and support please visit our advice centre.

FacebookTwitteremail Published

The tenancy agreement or lease which you have signed is the contract between Chorus Homes and you and sets out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. 

Keep it in a safe place and make sure that you understand it. Please contact us if you require any further advice about changes: 

  • Adding or removing a joint tenant 
  • Relationships and your tenancy 
  • Exchanging tenancies 
  • A need for a move 
  • Family rights
  • Support for victims of domestic violence 

You must give us four weeks written notice if you wish to leave your home. See the leaving your property page of this website for more information.

Occupying your home 

As a tenant you must occupy your home as soon as the agreement or lease begins (unless we have agreed otherwise) and to live there as your only or main home. 

If you are going to be away from your home for more than 28 days, you must let us know in writing. 


Sub-letting your property is illegal under the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act 2013. Sub-letting of tenancies  is unfair to other people who may be in housing need. If we receive a report of sub-letting we will investigate and may take legal action if you cannot provide evidence that you are using your home as your main address. We are also required to report any potential benefit fraud to the appropriate authority. 

Aerials and satellite dishes 

Please seek our advice before installing an aerial, satellite dish or cable television. In some areas planning permission or development restrictions are in place and you could incur the cost of removal if written permission is not obtained first. 


Please seek our advice before bringing a pet into your home. Pets are not permitted in some types of property. For further details please ask for a copy of our pet policy or ask your housing officer for advice.


You must obtain permission in writing from Chorus Homes before making any alterations or additions to your home. A surveyor may require details of the proposed work and inspect it for satisfactory completion. 

Anti-social behaviour 

You are responsible for any unacceptable behaviour carried out by you, your family, or by any other people living in or visiting your home. We take anti-social behaviour very seriously and will always investigate and take action when appropriate before closing the case. 

If you witness a crime or an emergency you should always report it to the police first.