- Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard – look for the kite mark.
- Never place candles near a Christmas tree or furnishings and don’t leave them burning unattended.
- If you have guests staying, make sure they know your escape plan and what to do in an emergency.
- Never attach decorations to lights or heaters.
- Be careful not to overload electrical sockets.
- Don’t get too festive! The risks of fire and accidents in the kitchen greatly increase when drinking alcohol.
Fire safety when cooking
The kitchen is the most dangerous room in the home. Every year, cooking causes over 50% of accidental fires. 70 people die and over 5,000 people are injured in kitchen fires nationally each year. Nearly all of these fires involve the cooker.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Do not cook when you have been drinking alcohol or taking medication.
- Hot oil is particularly dangerous.
- Use a deep fat fryer if you can.
- Never fill a pan more than one third full and don’t throw water on it if it does catch fire.
- Don’t let fat and grease build up on the cooker.
- Never allow children in the kitchen unsupervised.
- Check cookers are turned off when you’re not using them.
- Never hang tea towels on or over the cooker.
- Check that the pan handles are not sticking over the edge of the cooker where they could easily be knocked off.
- Check that wires are not hanging from sockets or switches where they could easily be caught, or reached and pulled by children.