Repairs & Maintenance
This section tells you about who is responsible for repairs to your home, and how to report a repair.
All of our employees carry identity cards. For your own safety please ensure that you ask to see their identity card before you let them into your home.
If you are unable to keep to your appointment, please call immediately on 0345 850 9994. Please note that for emergency repairs, you must be available for 24 hours from reporting the repair – if not, you may be charged for a wasted visit, or be asked to call in when you are available for 24 hours.
Chorus Homes’ responsibilities
Chorus Homes is responsible for maintaining the structure and exterior of your home, its main services and the communal areas in blocks of flats*. In particular, Chorus Homes is responsible for:
The structure of your home:
- Gutters and rainwater pipes
- Window frames and external doors
- Areas outside of your home:
- Steps and paths
- Drains and soakaways
- Garages and sheds owned by Chorus Homes
- Fencing (please refer to our Fencing policy)
- Lifts, heating, plant and lighting in communal areas.
- The services and fittings in your home:
- Plumbing and pipes
- Heating and appliances
- Installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation (we will provide either a gas or an electric supply for cooking facilities; if you require a different supply to the one provided, you will need to request our written permission before arranging this work independently by a qualified registered professional)
- Baths, basins and sinks
- Internal walls (plastering but not decorative finishes such as Artex)
- Communal equipment: lifts, heating plant and lighting of communal areas
- Smoke alarms and C02 alarms where fitted by Chorus Homes.
- *Except if due to malicious damage, misuse or negligence where no crime number has been reported.
You are responsible for the items listed below:
- Home and garden
- Clearance of blockagesin waste pipes and toilets caused by lack of care (e.g. cooking waste, nappies, excessive toilet roll, wet wipes, sanitary items)
- Fitting draught excluders on internal doors
- Managing excessive condensation
- Various pests. Please see our page on dealing with pests & rodents.
- Maintaining your garden
- Keeping the property in good condition internally.
- Fixtures and Fittings
- Fixtures and fittings, such as curtain rails
- Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and their starter mechanisms
- Internal doors, including handles and fittings and adjusting doors for carpet fitting
- Replacing locks and lost keys
- Replacing sink plugs and chains
- De-scaling baths, sanitary ware and kitchen sinks
- Replacing toilet seats
- Repairing/renewing gate catches
- Child locks (other than for upstairs windows) and security chains.
The list above is not exhaustive and is only to be used as a guideline. If for some reason you are unable to carry out any of these tasks please contact us on 0345 850 9994. We will charge you if we carry out this work on your behalf.
Please see our Repair FAQs section for answers to frequently asked questions about repairs to your home.